How do I Pay my Water/Sewer/Trash Bill? You may mail a personal check or money order to our office or place the payment in our outside drop box. You may also pay by credit card (a 2.5% fee is charged by the credit card company) by clicking on the orange tab on our website that says “On Line Bill Pay”. The Borough places a courtesy reminder call several days before the bill is due in case the bill was misplaced or was not received. The bill is mailed about ten days after the traditional quarter end so if you do not receive your bill by the middle of the following month, call the Borough office. Not receiving the bill does not relieve you from paying the late fee. It’s important that we have a phone number for you on our billing system not only for the reminder call, but if a boil water advisory is issued and we need to make a robocall.

How Do I Know if I Need a Building Permit? South Penn Code Consultants handles building and zoning permits. Their phone number is (717) 942-2248. Building permit applications can be found on the Borough’s website under Information. Click “Forms” and scroll down to “Borough Application”. You can bring the completed application to the Borough office or put it in our outside drop box.

Real Estate Taxes Taxes are levied by the County, School District and the Borough on real estate assessed value. The County/Borough tax bill is mailed in February and the School tax bill is mailed in June/July.

Tax Collector The tax collector for the above taxes is Lynne Franz, P.O. Box 338 Shrewsbury (717)-227-3805.

Earned Income Tax is 1.3% and that is divided between the Borough and the School District. If you reside in Pennsylvania, your employer will deduct the tax from your wages and send it to the York Adams Tax Bureau. If you work outside of Pennsylvania, please contact the York Adams Tax Bureau at (717) 845-1584 or to make arrangements to submit your tax on a quarterly basis.

Voting Voting takes place at the Municipal Building and the hours for voting are 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. To register to vote, change your party affiliation or to obtain an absentee ballot, go to the York County Elections website or call (717) 771-9604.

Trash Collection Collection day for both trash and recycling is on Fridays using the toters supplied by Penn Waste. Trash should be curbside by at least 6:00 a.m. You are allowed to place either two bags or one container (32 gallon) alongside your toter if the bags will not fit inside the toter. You are allowed one bulk item each Friday but you must call Penn Waste to schedule your bulky item pick up at (717) 767-4456. The following holidays are observed by the trash hauler: Christmas Day, New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th and Thanksgiving. This will cause a delay in trash collection by one day following the holiday. If the holiday falls on a Sunday, there will be no delay in collections that week.

Leaf Disposal You are allowed two extra bags dispose of leaves during the months of November, December, and January. Again, if they will not fit inside your trash toter, you can place the two bags alongside your toter or place them in a 32 gallon trash can. Note: Penn Waste will not replace your own can if it gets damaged or broken.

How Do I Dispose of Construction Material? You may call Penn Waste at (717) 767-4456 or the York County Solid Waste Authority at (717) 845-1066.

How Do I Dispose of Fire Extinguishers? Fire extinguishers may be taken to BFPE International at 3466 Board Road, York, PA 17406 (717) 741-9980.

How Do I Dispose of rechargeable Batteries? Rechargeable batteries may be taken to Home Depot and placed in a collection box near the entrance.

How Do I Dispose of Electronics? Electronics may not be placed with your regular trash. They must be taken to the York County Solid Waste Authority at 2651 Blackbridge Road, York, PA 17406 (717)845-1066. Hours are Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Saturday mornings from 8:00 a.m. to noon. There is no charge.

How Do I Dispose of Old Propane Tanks? Call the York County Solid Waste Authority (717) 845-1066 for a list of retailers that accept them.

How Do I Pay a Traffic Citation? Contact District Court 19-3-04 (717) 227-0688. Address is 165 Fairview Court, New Freedom, PA 17349.

How Do I Obtain a Copy of My Deed? Contact the York County Recorder of Deeds Office (717) 771-9295.

How Do I Get Help With Groceries? Contact the Southern York County Food Pantry at or call (717) 235-6370.

How do I Get Help With Bills? Contact Southern Community Services at the YMCA at 100 Constitution Avenue, Shrewsbury, or call (717) 235-0446, ext. 408.

How Can I Help the Shrewsbury Volunteer Fire Company? The Fire Company is 100% volunteer and they are always looking for help either responding to calls and help with fund raising.

Who Provides Police Protection? The Southern Regional Police Department provides coverage for Shrewsbury Borough. Their office is located at 47 East High Street in New Freedom. Non-emergency phone number is (717) 235-3944.